23 September 2010

My first steps

I started to look at YouTube video's. I was curious and wondered, how do they do that. With movements so light, two people moving as one, across the dance floor. I wanted so much to be able to do that as well.
My teachers learned us every new lesson one or two new steps. I understood their method:

"We do not teach you sequences of steps, but in stead the basic elements. So you can choose at any time what to do. Imagine you are out there on the dance floor, on a Milonga, and you want to perform something, and then suddenly you do not have the space to move. If you learned a sequence, your body remembers, and you are forced to continue. You would have a problem. But if you learn elements of steps, you can stop and choose another move in stead."

I agreed. It's like having a box with Lego bricks . With the right elements one can build anything. Improvisation, I like that.

It's like a language. Learn the words, write the poem.

Right.....Not..... On the dance floor...oh boy.... something else happens. One forgets! All of a sudden one is mute, without words. No poem at all. I think this is all part of being a beginner.

How I long to be able to move across the dance-floor, light, like a feather. Two people move as one.

No comments: